- Students will locate corn mazes and explain how corn mazes are one
type of farm tourism activity.
- Students will describe how farm tourism is a value- added activity
for the farming economy.
- Students will brainstorm opportunities for their community to interpret
present farm life, agribusiness, and past agricultural history.
- Students will work with a partner and review the history
- Students will participate in a class discussion about farm tourism.
Topics to discuss:
- Why is Iowa well-positioned to take advantage of the trend towards
`reality-based' travel experiences?
- How are family farms often dependent on non-farm sources of income
and how will farm tourism assist with rural development initiatives
- What are some places in our community that provide opportunities
for visitors to learn about immigrant stories and history, rare
livestock operations, or food production from the farm to the table?
- Students will create a maze with Discovery
School's Puzzlemaker Advanced Maze Creation. By entering a few numbers
to set up the size and clicking the "Create My Maze" button, students
can instantly create mazes, as well as experiment with a wheel or cut-out
shape for a real challenge.