The first pioneer settlers started to move into present-day Iowa in 1833.
But they settled in only a part of Iowa called the Black Hawk Purchase.
This section of land was "purchased" from the Sauk and Mesquakie (or Fox)
Indians following the Black
- Read the following questions.
- Write your answers to the questions in your notebook.
- Which section of the state was open for pioneer settlement first?
- In what part of the state were the next sections open for pioneer
- In what general direction did pioneer settlement move?
After you check your answers, read about how the land was
History Detective Continued...